Tuesday, March 23, 2010

El Mio Altar de Orishas


Yemaya / Our Lady of Justice. Mother of the orishas. Ruler of the moon and the seas. At her feet is a dried sea poison which is her favored offering. Elegua / Santo Nino de Atocha can be seen in the background.




Oshun / Nuestra Senora de la Caridad del Cobre. Orisha of love, beauty, prosperity and mirth. Her image sits on top of a squash, which is sacred to her. On the foreground is Our Lady of Loreto, representing a camino (aspect) of Oshun: Oshu Ololodi, the wife of Orunmila. My opa iku (death staff) is painted green, in honor of my principal ori, Ogun.




Shango / San Miguel. The orisha of thunder and fire. A bundle of six (drying) okras is offered to him.




Oya / Santa Teresa. The skull represents iku (death); the graveyard is Oya's domain. Oya is distantly related to St. Briget of Ireland through her syncretism with Our Lady of Candelaria, hence the Briget's cross.




Obatala / Mary Mediatrix of all Graces. Obata, creator of man, is presented as both male and female, signifying transcendence from duality.





Babalu-Aye / San Roque. Orisha of healing. It is said that Babalu Aye both causes and cures disease.




Ogun / San Pedro. Orisha of war, iron, and technology. Beside him is his sopera, painted in his color: green. By his feet is the caldero de oggun, containing miniature weapons, as well as some ashes from the ile ocha.



Orunmila / San Francisco de Assissi. The lord of divination, the seer of the orishas. The obsidian crystal ball is part of orunmila's herramientos (tools).


Maferefun Orisha!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is beautiful. I had no idea each piece had two meanings depending on what you are taught growing up. Thanks for the lesson.

Murmur said...

Thank you, and you're welcome, Raven. :)

Mike Hughes25 said...

Thank you for the work you have done in expanding awareness of this topic. I am a fellow occultist as well. Cheers!

maitreyalux@gmail.com

Lina said...

This was lovely! I plan to share it on my Facebook page.... I struggle with those who look at all spiritual practices as singular-one meaning, one tool, one focus, one path, etc-... To bend is not to break, and I hope I can help others bend a little so they see more.... This has inspired me more, so Thank You!!

Lina said...

This was lovely! I plan to share it on my Facebook page.... I struggle with those who look at all spiritual practices as singular-one meaning, one tool, one focus, one path, etc-... To bend is not to break, and I hope I can help others bend a little so they see more.... This has inspired me more, so Thank You!!

PJ said...

Is there an ilé or Orisha worship in the Philippines?

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Affiliate Network Reviews
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...